(Image via Cuckoo Bird)
Jerry Garcia was an inimitable presence and amazing musician, with a voice and guitar style that stands out like no other–you hear just a couple of notes, and you know that’s Jerry playing! Today, August 1st 2012, would have been his 70th birthday. Here’s a round-up of some cool stuff we’ve found in honor of the leader of the “heart of gold band!”.
Today (like most days) is a very good day to rock out to the Grateful Dead, so break out those old bootlegs and get your groove on! We LOVE the Winterland Concert movie, and this version of “Eyes of the World” in particular:
5 Facts You Maybe Knew about Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead:
- Jerry lost most of his middle finger when he was a young boy
- The Steal Your Face logo (from the 1976 June album) has inspired many spinoffs; one of which is our officially licensed Steal Your State logo, which has the state of Maine in place of the lightening bolt. (Available exclusively here and here!)
- Jerry chose the name Grateful Dead from a dictionary.
- He is #13 on Rolling Stone’s 2003 list of 100 Greatest Guitar Players
- Ben & Jerry’s #1 selling ice cream flavor, Cherry Garcia, is a tribute to the one and only Jerry Garcia!
On Friday, August 3rd there is a FREE webcast live from bandmate Bob Weir’s TRI Studios, with a growing lineup of musicians performing. Check it out here.
Remember the late Jerry Garcia today and all year long with any of our sweet Grateful Dead merchandise; don’t forget the baby!